Professional Development For English Teachers
We offer professional development programs for teachers, which are tailored to meet the needs of the particular group. Most of our programs are four to six weeks in length which allows for a more intense language development and skills enhancement. However, shorter term programs are also possible.
Sample course outline
The course structure may include the following key areas:
- Lectures and workshops in current TESOL methodology with an emphasis on developing skills in the Communicative Approach and Task-based Learning.
- Session planning.
- The use of language laboratories, video and audio-visual materials.
- Computer Aided Language Learning.
- Drama and role play.
- Independent Learning Centre Operation.
- Classroom observation and communication with practitioners in the ESL field, in a local school setting where possible.
- Structured discussion classes to encourage development of speaking and listening skills.
- Visits to places of educational or cultural interest.
- Five reasons to choose Hawthorn for your Professional Development program
- 1Our teachers are highly qualified and are knowledgeable in the latest teaching methodologies.
- 2Participants can observe English language classes at our centre as part of their learning experience.
- 3Participants are immersed in the language and culture whilst undertaking their professional development program.
- 4Course content is flexible and responsive to particular group requirements.
- 5Content of the programs is designed to enhance teaching practice and stimulate new ideas.