Intensive Academic Preparation
An advanced level intensive program designed to prepare students for university study in Australia. Typically, students in this program have an unconditional offer for university.
This course is conducted both at Hawthorn-Melbourne and one day each week at the main campus of the University of Melbourne. The course uses learning tasks and assignments which simulate the standards of English required at university level.
The course focuses on developing English language and study skills including:
- Identify and analyse issues and gather important information through listening and note-taking exercises based on lectures, seminars, videos, tapes and tutorial style presentations.
- Seminar presentation skills.
- Confidently express, explain and support a point of view related to a given topic.
- Summarise, paraphrase, organise, self edit material and correctly acknowledge reference information obtained from a range of sources.
- Reading and analysis of a range of authentic reading materials.
- Predicting, skimming, scanning, identifying key words and key topics.
Duration: 5-10 weeks
Class size: 12-18 students
- Five reasons to study Intensive Academic Preparation
- 1Develop an understanding of the expectations at an Australian university.
- 2Further develop your research skills using university facilities and resources.
- 3Meet other students who will also be studying at university in Australia; build your social connections .
- 4One day each week held at the main campus of the University of Melbourne introducing students to university culture .
- 5Intensive program, small classes and dedicated teachers .