Hawthorn-Melbourne’s General English course is perfect for students needing to improve their all-round language skills. Each level will include classes for speaking, reading, writing and listening and students quickly develop the confidence to use English outside of the classroom.
All students are tested on arrival in Melbourne and placed into a class that is most suitable for their English ability.
Students in the Elementary class will learn to:
- provide and ask for personal information
- describe people and places
- express their likes and dislikes
- make plans and talk about future events
Students in the Pre-Intermediate class will learn to:
- ask for, give and follow instructions
- describe and compare different places and objects
- talk about past experiences
- speculate on the future
Students in the Intermediate class will learn to:
- skim and scan newspaper articles
- give and support opinions
- develop different levels of politenes in using language
Students in the Upper Intermediate class will learn to:
- discuss advantages and disadvantages
- participate in job interviews
- understand verbal and non-verbal forms of communication
Students in the Advanced class will learn to:
- understand colloquial expressions
- give opinions on current events and participate in a debate
- write in a number of formats including letters, essays, short stories and articles
Duration: 5-46 weeks
Class size: No more than 18 students
- Five reasons to study General English
- 1We offer General English at six different levels. Accurate placement testing will ensure you are in the right level for you.
- 2A curriculum based excursion every five weeks provides an opportunity for you to use your English outside of the classroom.
- 3Teachers use a range of teaching resources to make classes interesting and relevant.
- 4Study with students from all over the world – over 40 nationalities are represented at Hawthorn each year.
- 5Classes are held 8.30-2.30 each day, giving you the afternoon free to explore Melbourne.